Read from the Start
Read from the Start – Quality Start LA has teamed up with the Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) System, the LA County Library (LACL) System, the Pasadena Public Library and Sesame Street in Communities to bring you “Read from the Start.”
Each month, QSLA and your local library systems will work together to develop a themed booklist, reading tips, and family activities all designed for families with children ages birth to five. Click on the Read from the Start booklists below to download a PDF of the list.
April 2020: Caring for the Environment Month
Monthly Booklist: To print out and share!
Click on the images below to download the PDF of the booklists, or scroll to the bottom of the page to find every book at your local Los Angeles Public, LA County Library, and Pasadena Public Library.
NEW this month: Click on each book this month to access the Read-Aloud version of each story!
Monthly Activity: Creature Camouflage
- When exploring the park, your back yard, or any outdoor space, try finding animals that camouflage (blend in with the space around them).
- Look closely at the grass for any animals that blend in. Look up in the trees.
- Then, on a blank sheet of paper, draw some of the animals you see using crayons or colored pencils.
- Visit your library’s website to find more information and books on your favorite animals.
- Click here for a list of zoos and aquariums that have live-streams of their animals for further exploration!
This activity is inspired by the Sesame Street in Communities’ activity “Creature Camouflage”, sesamestreetincommunities.org/activities/creature-camouflage
For more activities related to the booklist, click on the links below to further engage children in these stories and keep their little minds and bodies active.
Click the links below for more books available for read aloud from:
Reading is Fundamental: Some of your favorite stories available for children pre-k through 6th grade!
Storyline Online: Watch as some of your favorite actors and actresses read their stories aloud to your little ones!
Monthly Family Reading Tip: Connect with the Story
Ask your child questions as you read to keep them engaged in the story and build comprehension skills. For example, “What is happening on this page?” “How do you think that character is feeling? And why?” “When have you felt like that?” “What do you think will happen next?”
Check these books out at your local library!
Find this month’s books available for digital download at your local library or for read-aloud on Youtube.
- Lola Plants a Garden by Anna McQuinn
- On a Magical Do-Nothing Day by Beatrice Alemanga
- Rainbow Weaver/Tejedora del arcoiris by Amy Guglielmo
- Crab Cake: Turning the Tide Together by Andrea Tzurumi
- What if Everybody Did That? by Ellen Javernick
- The EARTH Book by Todd Parr