Read from the Start
Each month, QSLA and your local library systems will work together to develop a themed booklist, reading tips, and family activities all designed for families with children ages birth to five. Click on the Read from the Start booklists below to download a PDF of the list.
January 2020: Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds
Monthly Activity: Move & Learn
Help your child develop healthy habits that will benefit both their body and mind for a lifetime.
1. Following Patterns: Turn on some music and take turns creating dances with repeating patterns. Adjust the difficulty level according to your child’s age. Try including jumps, hops and wiggles. (Ex: jump, jump, wiggle, jump, jump, wiggle.)
2. Stretching to the ABC’s: Draw a letter on paper, call out its name and show it to your child. Ask your child to use his/her body to twist and bend to form the letter.
- Challenge older children to think of different words that begin with the given letter while they bend.
3. Count & Move: Invite children to move their bodies in a certain way, a specific number of times (i.e. hop 5 times; spin 2 times).
- For younger children, have them count on their fingers as they follow the directions.
- For older children, you can try using addition (i.e. hop 4 plus 2 times; spin 1 plus 2 times).
This activity is inspired by Move & Learn from Sesame Street in Communities.
Monthly Family Reading Tip: Have Fun!
If your child is not enjoying the book you’re reading, pick another one! Reading with a young child is mostly about building positive experiences with books, not finishing every book you start. Find a book everyone enjoys!
Monthly Booklist: To print out and share!
Click on the images below to download our full booklists, or scroll to the bottom of the page to find every book at your local Los Angeles Public and LA County Library.
Check it out at your local library!
Find this month’s books at your local library. Did you know? Many of these books are also available for digital download.
- How Did That Get in My Lunchbox by Christine Butterworth
- Little Yoga: A Toddler’s First Book of Yoga by Rebecca Whitford
- The Busy Body Book: A Kid’s Guide to Fitness by Lizzy Rockwell