Resources for Families / Recursos para familias
Click the headers below to view available resources!
- Quality Start LA Literacy Toolkit – Tips for making the most out of storytime and a Quality Start LA bookmark to go with it.
- Quality Start LA ofrece un kit de herramientas de alfabetización – Consejos para aprovechar al máximo la hora de los cuentos.
- Quality Start LA Themed Booklists – Introduce high-quality early learning moments through these great books, organized by theme (i.e. holidays, feelings, diversity, etc.)
- Current Read from the Start Booklists – Quality Start LA has teamed up with the Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) System, the LA County Library (LACL) System, the Pasadena Public Library System and Sesame Street in Communities to create themed monthly booklists, reading tips, and family activities all designed for families with children ages birth to five.
- Read from the Start en Español – Quality Start LA se ha unido con el Sistema de la Biblioteca Pública de Los Ángeles (LAPL por sus siglas en ingles), el Sistema de Biblioteca del Condado de Los Ángeles (LACL por sus siglas en ingles) , la Biblioteca pública de Pasadena y Sesame Street in Communities para traerle “Read from the Start. Cada mes, QSLA y sus sistemas de bibliotecas locales trabajarán juntos para desarrollar una lista de libros temática, consejos de lectura y actividades familiares, todo diseñado para familias con niños desde recién nacidos a cinco años.
Monthly activity calendar– Each month, QSLA compiles both online and in-person early learning activities to help families support their child’s growth and development in fun and interesting ways!
Holiday activity guides / Guías de actividades para días festivos – Fun activities and ideas to help you and your little ones celebrate your favorite holidays. // Actividades e ideas divertidas para ayudarle a usted y sus pequeños/as en celebrar sus días festivos favoritos.
Early learning activity guides / Guías de actividades para aprendizaje temprano – High quality early learning activities to build your little one’s science, math, fine motor skills and more! // ¡Actividades de aprendizaje temprano de alta calidad para desarrollar las habilidades científicas, matemáticas, motoras finas y mucho más de su pequeño/a!
Teaching Differences and Similarities to Children Quality Start LA’s “Me and My Friends” e-book was created to help guide conversations about differences.
- Early Childhood: Learning About Gender Identity Booklist: This incredible list, from Social Justice Books, provides a wide array of stories to support discussions about gender identity with young children.
Cultural Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
- Colours of Us-Multicultural Children’s Booklists: Colours of Us has created booklists for all ages (infant/toddler-high school) that highlight African, Asian, and Hispanic cultures, among others.
- Talking to Children About Race and Racism (Head Start): Explore these tips and resources, for families and staff, that address how young children learn about race and ways to talk to children to help them have open and healthy conversations, at all ages.
Developmental Screenings Help Your Child Grow Up Healthy! Familiarize yourself with the CDC milestones to know what to expect as children grow. Regular developmental screenings with early childhood professionals can help keep track of your child’s developmental milestones and give you information and tools to support your child as they grow.
Kindergarten Readiness Checklist – Use this checklist to identify the skills you can help children develop in order to prepare them for lifelong learning.
All About Young Children: Information for Families on Children’s Early Development – Online publication providing resources in various languages for families based on the California Infant/Toddler Learning & Development Foundations and the California Preschool Learning Foundations. Families can find out what skills help children from birth to age five learn, how they learn language, how they learn about feelings and relationships, how they learn about numbers, and how they become skillful at moving their bodies.
The Parent Toolkit App is an online resource to help families navigate their child’s journey from pre-kindergarten through high school. Also available in Spanish , the app allows families to access academic benchmarks, as well as health and wellness resources including physical development and nutritional information.
Vroom — Vroom is a source of creative tools and materials that inspire families to turn everyday moments into brain-building moments. It was developed with thoughtful input from parents, early childhood experts, neuroscientists, families and community leaders.
Learn the Signs. Act Early.
From birth to 5 years, your child should reach milestones in how he plays, learns, speaks, acts and moves. The CDC has provided a resource to track your child’s development and act early if you have a concern.
Sesame Street in Communities — When a child endures a traumatic experience, the whole family feels the impact. But, adults hold the power to help lessen the effects of trauma. Sesame Street has created a suite of resources to help children cope with trauma.
Talk. Read. Sing (First 5 CA): First 5 CA has a variety of resources focused on early language, reading, brain, and motor development. Resources include activities, downloads, videos and more!
Child Care Alliance of Los Angeles -Find child care programs near you, learn about subsidized child care and more resources through your local Resource and Referral agency. Enter your zip code to get started!
Choosing Quality Child Care – Tips for families looking for quality programs.
Spot Quality! – Play our interactive memory game to test your skills and learn the hallmarks of quality to look for when choosing a child care program.